In five months, Vietnam exported more than 6,400 tons of star anise, equivalent to over 39 million USD, up 129% in volume and 202% in value compared to the same period last year.

The above information has just been announced by the Vietnam Pepper Association (VPA). India accounts for 63% of the market share of star anise exports, the remaining 37% belongs to China, the US, and other markets.

Star anise exports have increased unexpectedly in the first 05 months of 2023

Exporters said that in the first five months of the year, India and China massively bought this spice from Vietnam with triple-digit growth. In addition to these two markets, the US and the Netherlands are also increasing their purchases of Vietnamese star anise. It is expected that by the end of this year, exports of this spice to markets can reach over 100 million USD.

According to the General Department of Forestry, in general, the export value of cinnamon and anise continuously increased. It reached more than 245 million USD in 2020, and about 274 million USD in 2021, accounting for more than 8.3% of fruit and vegetable export turnover. It is forecast that the export value of star anise and cinnamon this year will reach about 276 million USD.

The World Spice Association assessed that Vietnam possesses many kinds of precious spices, one of which is star anise. It is often used as a spice in dishes such as pho, curry, beef noodle soup, etc helping to create flavor and fragrance. In Vietnam, the planting area of star anise is about 40,000 ha, concentrated mainly in Lang Son and Cao Bang with an annual output of more than 16,000 tons. This tree mainly grows in Vietnam and China. Few countries own it. The price of dried star anise in Vietnam is fluctuating between 180,000-290,000 VND per kg, depending on the quality.

The world spice and flavor market has been valued at 21.3 billion USD in 2021 and will grow to 27.4 billion USD by 2026. Vietnamese star anise is strongly consumed in many regions of South Asia (such as India and Bangladesh), the Middle East (UAE and Pakistan), East Asia (Japan, Taiwan – China, and Korea), the United States, and the EU./.