In this winter season, the average yield of carrots in Hai Duong is estimated at 495.8 quintals/ha, the production is over 63,000 tons, about 3,000 tons higher than the previous year.

This year, Hai Duong province planted 1,272 ha of carrots, mainly concentrated in Cam Giang district (530 ha), Nam Sach district (432 ha), Chi Linh town (209 ha), and the remaining is scattered in the riverbanks of Thanh Ha, Ninh Giang, Tu Ky, Thanh Mien, and Hai Duong city.

The time for planting carrots is from Sept to Oct and the harvest season is from mid-Jan to April next year (mainly focus in Feb and Mar). Hai Duong’s carrot products are mostly produced under VietGAP safety procedures.  Particularly, carrots of Cam Giang district have been granted collective trademark certificates by the Ministry of Science and Technology.

Carrots are pre-processed and packed for export.

This winter crop, the average yield of carrots is estimated at 495.8 quintals/ha, the output is over 63,000 tons, about 3,000 tons higher than the previous year. Currently, an area of 600 ha has been harvested (about 45% of the total area). In terms of expected consumption, nearly 90% of carrots are pre-processed and refrigerated for export to South Korea, Japan, Thailand, Malaysia, and the Middle East. The remaining 10% is consumed in the domestic market mostly in fresh form, just a small part is dried for food processing.

Currently, there are 17 carrot processing facilities in the province, mainly cold storage facilities for export such as Ameii Vietnam Joint Stock Company, Hung Viet Co., Ltd., Tan Huong Co., Ltd., Duc Chinh Cooperative, and Tan Minh Duc Cooperative.

To ensure product quality, carrots after being harvested in the field will be washed, put through the ozone aeration system, cold water, and run through the conveyor system for workers to classify by different sizes. After classification, carrots will be packed in carton boxes by the specifications of 4 kg/box, 4.5 kg/box, or 10 kg/box (depending on the import market) and transferred to cold storage. Carrots are then placed in refrigerated containers for export or can be packed in plastic bags before being put in cold storage for storage.

Carrot is determined as a main crop, bringing high income to farmers. In 2022, when Korea issued a warning about harmful nematodes on tuberous crops imported into this country, the Hai Duong Department of Agriculture and Rural Development checked and confirmed that carrots grown in Hai Duong are not infected with pests and diseases. Then, the Department reported to the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development to negotiate with Korea and take measures to keep the number of goods, committed to improving the quality of products exported to this market.

Mrs. Luong Thi Kiem, Deputy Director of the Department of Agriculture and Rural Development Hai Duong, informed that the province is entering the main carrot harvest. To ensure product quality, the agricultural sector has directed functional units to issue planting area codes, control pesticide residues, and prevent harmful insects. The sector also requires enterprises must ensure the quality of the Hai Duong carrot brand, especially for export when purchasing, classifying, and packaging./.